What is involved in Secure by design
Find out what the related areas are that Secure by design connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Secure by design thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Secure by design journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Secure by design leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Secure by design related domains to cover and 148 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Secure by design, Computer virus, Computer network, Computer security, Intrusion detection system, Call stack, Information security, Data-centric security, Cryptographic hash function, Multi-factor authentication, Software Security Assurance, Security by design, Cyber security standards, Buffer overflow, Home directory, Secure by design, Software engineering, Multiple Independent Levels of Security, Linus’ law, C standard library, Security through obscurity, Computer worm, Computer access control, Mobile secure gateway, Malicious user, Best coding practices, Security-focused operating system, Web server, Denial of service, Screen scrape, Network security, Secure coding, Logic bomb, User identifier, Machine code, Software design, Computer code, Format string attack, Trojan horse, Undefined behavior, Intrusion prevention system, SQL injection, Operating system shell, Dog food, Antivirus software, Computer crime, Mobile security, Internet security, Application security, Principle of least privilege:
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Adapt Secure by design tasks and give examples utilizing a core of simple Secure by design skills.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Secure by design strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What are specific Secure by design Rules to follow?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Computer virus visions and assess what counts with Computer virus that we are not counting.
– What about Secure by design Analysis of results?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Computer network goals and oversee Computer network requirements.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Secure by design process?
– Will Secure by design have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What are current Secure by design Paradigms?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Scan Computer security projects and do something to it.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Secure by design delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Secure by design objectives?
– How can we improve Secure by design?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Coach on Intrusion detection system strategies and look at it backwards.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– Does Secure by design create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– What are all of our Secure by design domains and what do they do?
– Is the scope of Secure by design defined?
Call stack Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Call stack leadership and get out your magnifying glass.
– How do we know that any Secure by design analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How can you measure Secure by design in a systematic way?
– How would one define Secure by design leadership?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Face Information security failures and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Information security.
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Based on our information security Risk Management strategy, do we have official written information security and privacy policies, standards, or procedures?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Is the documented Information Security Mgmt System (ISMS) established, implemented, operated, monitored, reviewed, maintained and improved?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Does your company have a current information security policy that has been approved by executive management?
– Is there an up-to-date information security awareness and training program in place for all system users?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into regulations?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (ciso or equivalent title)?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– what is the difference between cyber security and information security?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– : Return of Information Security Investment, Are you spending enough?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– How to achieve a satisfied level of information security?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Grade Data-centric security tactics and research ways can we become the Data-centric security company that would put us out of business.
– What are the barriers to increased Secure by design production?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
– Are accountability and ownership for Secure by design clearly defined?
– Is there any existing Secure by design governance structure?
Cryptographic hash function Critical Criteria:
Systematize Cryptographic hash function management and adjust implementation of Cryptographic hash function.
– For your Secure by design project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What is our formula for success in Secure by design ?
– Is Secure by design Required?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Detail Multi-factor authentication strategies and report on developing an effective Multi-factor authentication strategy.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Secure by design?
– How will you know that the Secure by design project has been successful?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
Software Security Assurance Critical Criteria:
Mine Software Security Assurance failures and create Software Security Assurance explanations for all managers.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Secure by design?
– Are we Assessing Secure by design and Risk?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Confer re Security by design decisions and work towards be a leading Security by design expert.
– How do we measure improved Secure by design service perception, and satisfaction?
– Why should we adopt a Secure by design framework?
Cyber security standards Critical Criteria:
Confer over Cyber security standards decisions and correct better engagement with Cyber security standards results.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Secure by design, including any consulting or professional services?
Buffer overflow Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Buffer overflow quality and get going.
– What vendors make products that address the Secure by design needs?
– What are the business goals Secure by design is aiming to achieve?
Home directory Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Home directory decisions and describe which business rules are needed as Home directory interface.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Secure by design project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Secure by design project lifecycle?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Secure by design?
– What are the disruptive Secure by design technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Secure by design governance and pioneer acquisition of Secure by design systems.
– Is Supporting Secure by design documentation required?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Steer Software engineering management and assess and formulate effective operational and Software engineering strategies.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Does Secure by design analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Multiple Independent Levels of Security Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Multiple Independent Levels of Security failures and finalize the present value of growth of Multiple Independent Levels of Security.
– Among the Secure by design product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is maximizing Secure by design protection the same as minimizing Secure by design loss?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Secure by design study?
Linus’ law Critical Criteria:
Mix Linus’ law strategies and budget for Linus’ law challenges.
– In the case of a Secure by design project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Secure by design project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Secure by design project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What will drive Secure by design change?
C standard library Critical Criteria:
Model after C standard library adoptions and reduce C standard library costs.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Secure by design?
– Is Secure by design dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Security through obscurity Critical Criteria:
Derive from Security through obscurity issues and handle a jump-start course to Security through obscurity.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Secure by design ?
– How can the value of Secure by design be defined?
– How much does Secure by design help?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Value Computer worm leadership and drive action.
– How likely is the current Secure by design plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Reason over Computer access control issues and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Computer access control.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Secure by design?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Start Mobile secure gateway adoptions and create Mobile secure gateway explanations for all managers.
– Think about the people you identified for your Secure by design project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do we Improve Secure by design service perception, and satisfaction?
Malicious user Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Malicious user leadership and stake your claim.
– Is there an account-lockout mechanism that blocks a maliCIOus user from obtaining access to an account by multiple password retries or brute force?
– When authenticating over the internet, is the application designed to prevent maliCIOus users from trying to determine existing user accounts?
– What are the usability implications of Secure by design actions?
Best coding practices Critical Criteria:
Canvass Best coding practices projects and oversee Best coding practices management by competencies.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Secure by design information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Security-focused operating system engagements and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Security-focused operating system results.
– How do we go about Securing Secure by design?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Canvass Web server leadership and create a map for yourself.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Secure by design models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Denial of service governance and remodel and develop an effective Denial of service strategy.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– How to deal with Secure by design Changes?
– Why are Secure by design skills important?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Own Screen scrape engagements and report on the economics of relationships managing Screen scrape and constraints.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Secure by design processes?
– What threat is Secure by design addressing?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Network security planning and proactively manage Network security risks.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– Which customers cant participate in our Secure by design domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Think about Secure coding adoptions and finalize specific methods for Secure coding acceptance.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Secure by design agendas for the next 3 years?
– In a project to restructure Secure by design outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Deduce Logic bomb tactics and oversee Logic bomb requirements.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Secure by design? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What are our Secure by design Processes?
User identifier Critical Criteria:
Detail User identifier governance and work towards be a leading User identifier expert.
– Why is Secure by design important for you now?
Machine code Critical Criteria:
Group Machine code outcomes and gather practices for scaling Machine code.
– What is the purpose of Secure by design in relation to the mission?
Software design Critical Criteria:
Canvass Software design governance and budget for Software design challenges.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Secure by design project?
Computer code Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Computer code planning and proactively manage Computer code risks.
– While it seems technically very likely that smart contracts can be programmed to execute the lifecycle events of a financial asset, and that those assets can be legally enshrined in computer code as a smart asset, how are they governed by law?
– What are our needs in relation to Secure by design skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Have all basic functions of Secure by design been defined?
Format string attack Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Format string attack adoptions and raise human resource and employment practices for Format string attack.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Secure by design strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How can skill-level changes improve Secure by design?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Trojan horse quality and report on setting up Trojan horse without losing ground.
Undefined behavior Critical Criteria:
Analyze Undefined behavior results and describe the risks of Undefined behavior sustainability.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Secure by design product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Intrusion prevention system visions and correct Intrusion prevention system management by competencies.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Secure by design processes?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Secure by design into the services that we provide?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– How will you measure your Secure by design effectiveness?
SQL injection Critical Criteria:
Adapt SQL injection goals and proactively manage SQL injection risks.
– Are controls implemented on the server side to prevent sql injection and other bypassing of client side-input controls?
– Does Secure by design systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Operating system shell Critical Criteria:
Read up on Operating system shell decisions and spearhead techniques for implementing Operating system shell.
– Can we add value to the current Secure by design decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Secure by design is underway?
– Can we do Secure by design without complex (expensive) analysis?
Dog food Critical Criteria:
Sort Dog food issues and define what do we need to start doing with Dog food.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Secure by design project?
– When a Secure by design manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Graph Antivirus software visions and ask questions.
– How do we go about Comparing Secure by design approaches/solutions?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
See the value of Computer crime results and look in other fields.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Secure by design workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Mobile security engagements and spearhead techniques for implementing Mobile security.
– Do we monitor the Secure by design decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Who sets the Secure by design standards?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Internet security goals and interpret which customers can’t participate in Internet security because they lack skills.
Application security Critical Criteria:
Investigate Application security risks and correct better engagement with Application security results.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Secure by design strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
Principle of least privilege Critical Criteria:
Unify Principle of least privilege leadership and remodel and develop an effective Principle of least privilege strategy.
– Does Secure by design appropriately measure and monitor risk?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Secure by design Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Secure by design External links:
Holovision | Secure By Design
LMD Architects – Secure By Design
Secure by Design – Home | Facebook
Computer virus External links:
Don’t fall for this computer virus scam! – May. 12, 2017
FixMeStick | The Leading Computer Virus Cleaner
Computer network External links:
Remote services, computer network, PC Health Check – …
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Computer security External links:
Best Computer Security Software | 2018 Reviews of the …
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
[PDF]Computer Security Incident Handling Guide – …
Intrusion detection system External links:
What is Intrusion Detection System? Webopedia Definition
Intrusion Detection System | Security Data Management
Call stack External links:
Call stack (Runtime stack)—CMPUT 175 – YouTube
Information security External links:
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
ALTA – Information Security
[PDF]Department of the Navy Information Security Program
Cryptographic hash function External links:
9-7.4 Cryptographic Hash Function – USPS
What is a Cryptographic Hash Function? – Definition …
What Is a Cryptographic Hash Function? – Lifewire
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Software Security Assurance External links:
Software Security Assurance | CSIAC
T.E.N. – Software Security Assurance Summit – ten-inc.com
Importance of Software Security Assurance | Oracle
Security by design External links:
Global Privacy and Security By Design
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Security by Design – Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Cyber security standards External links:
Cyber Security Standards | NIST
Cyber security standards – ScienceDaily
Cyber Security Standards – IT Governance
Buffer overflow External links:
Buffer overflow attack – OWASP
Buffer Overflow – OWASP
ORA-20000 ORU-10027 buffer overflow limit of 2000 bytes
Home directory External links:
Funeral Home Directory – Legacy.com
Veterans Home Directory – California
Linux Change Default User Home Directory While Adding …
Secure by design External links:
LMD Architects – Secure By Design
Holovision | Product Selector | Secure by Design
Legolas Exchange, Fair and Secure By Design
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering | University of Wisconsin-Platteville
Software Engineering Institute
Multiple Independent Levels of Security External links:
Multiple Independent Levels of Security
http://Multiple Independent Levels of Security/Safety (MILS) is a high-assurance security architecture based on the concepts of separation and controlled information flow; implemented by separation mechanisms that support both untrusted and trustworthy components; ensuring that the total security solution is non-bypassable, evaluatable, always invoked and tamperproof.
[PDF]MILS Multiple Independent Levels of Security – ACSA)
C standard library External links:
C Standard Library header files – cppreference.com
C Standard Library Functions – Programiz
C Standard Library Reference Tutorial – tutorialspoint.com
Security through obscurity External links:
Security Through Obscurity is Not Security At All | WPShout
security through obscurity – Imgflip
Computer worm External links:
Stuxnet Computer Worm – Home | Facebook
Computer access control External links:
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Mobile secure gateway External links:
SeaCat Mobile Secure Gateway – TeskaLabs · Security
TeskaLabs – Mobile Secure Gateway
Mobile secure gateway Stock Photo Images. 36 Mobile …
Malicious user External links:
Import This Malicious User-Agent String Feed | RSA Link
Best coding practices External links:
Best Coding Practices to Show during Job Interviews – YouTube
Psychopath – Best coding practices comic
Security-focused operating system External links:
Security-focused operating system – WOW.com
Web server External links:
Web Server Launch Page – Antelope Valley College
WISCORS Network Web Server – Welcome
ProjectWise Web Server
Denial of service External links:
Best Practices for Preventing DoS/Denial of Service …
Screen scrape External links:
web scraping – How do screen scrapers work? – Stack Overflow
[PDF]Screen scrape pdf – WordPress.com
Network security External links:
Cyber and Network Security Bachelor’s Degree | Online & …
Home Network Security | Trend Micro
Firewall Management Software | Network Security …
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding Guideline – developer.force.com
Logic bomb External links:
Logic Bomb – Home | Facebook
Logic Bomb – Two Brains – YouTube
Logic Bomb Set Off South Korea Cyberattack | WIRED
User identifier External links:
User identifier – YouTube
[MS-WSSFO3]: User Identifier – msdn.microsoft.com
Machine code External links:
M-codes Machine Code Reference | Tormach Inc. …
What is “Machine Code” (aka “Machine Language”)?
Machine Code Instructions – YouTube
Software design External links:
[PDF]Software Design Document (SDD) Template
Custom Software Design & Development | FrogSlayer
Software Design and Architecture | Coursera
Computer code External links:
HTML Computer Code Elements – W3Schools
Mustang Computer Code Identification by Year (1987 …
Format string attack External links:
Format string attack – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Format string attack&item_type=topic
Format String Attack – WhiteHat Security
Format string attack – OWASP
Trojan horse External links:
Trojan horse | Story & Facts | Britannica.com
Undefined behavior External links:
Undefined behavior – cppreference.com
Undefined Behavior – OWASP
Undefined Behavior – YouTube
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) | …
Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS – …
What is an Intrusion Prevention System? – Palo Alto Networks
SQL injection External links:
SQL Injection – W3Schools
SQL Injection Cheat Sheet & Tutorial | Veracode
SQL Injection Bypassing WAF – OWASP
Operating system shell External links:
Protective Operating System Shell Environment for Robots
Operating System Shell Commands | StudyDaddy.com
Dog food External links:
Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and Analysis 2018 – Pet Food Talk
Natural Dog Food | Organic Healthy Dog Food | Only Natural …
Dog Food Advisor – Official Site
Antivirus software External links:
Geek Squad Antivirus Software Download | Webroot
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Best Antivirus 2018 – Top Antivirus Software
Computer crime External links:
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
http://www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
Computer Crime Info – Official Site
What is Computer Crime?
Mobile security External links:
Mobile Protection, Enterprise Mobile Security – Skycure
ADP Mobile Security
Lookout Mobile Security
Internet security External links:
AT&T – Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee
Norton Internet Security & Antivirus Tools | XFINITY
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Application security External links:
Program Rules – Application Security – Google
BLM Application Security System
Application Security – CA Technologies
Principle of least privilege External links:
What is the principle of least privilege?
The Principle of Least Privilege Access in the Cloud – Xgility