What is involved in Systems Operations
Find out what the related areas are that Systems Operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Systems Operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Systems Operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Systems Operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Systems Operations related domains to cover and 112 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Systems Operations, Operations support system, Access network, Business support system, Computer system, Configuration management, Customer service, DSL Forum, Data entry clerk, Digital Equipment Corporation, Fault management, Hardware Information Navigational Tool, ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector, International Organization for Standardization, Loop Maintenance Operations System, Network element, Remote Memory Administration System, Service Evaluation System, Service assurance, Service delivery platform, Service fulfillment, Simple Network Management Protocol, Software applications, Switching Control Center System, TM Forum, Telcordia Technologies, Telecommunications Management Network, Telecommunications service providers, Telephone company, Telephone exchange, Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System:
Systems Operations Critical Criteria:
Derive from Systems Operations management and learn.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Systems Operations delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are the business goals Systems Operations is aiming to achieve?
– What threat is Systems Operations addressing?
Operations support system Critical Criteria:
Deduce Operations support system issues and change contexts.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Systems Operations is underway?
– Is Systems Operations Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How much does Systems Operations help?
Access network Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Access network issues and devise Access network key steps.
– How likely is the current Systems Operations plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Systems Operations?
– Do we all define Systems Operations in the same way?
Business support system Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Business support system failures and proactively manage Business support system risks.
– Which customers cant participate in our Systems Operations domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– When a Systems Operations manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Will Systems Operations deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Computer system Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Computer system quality and differentiate in coordinating Computer system.
– During the last 3 years, have you experienced a disruption to your computer system that lasted longer than 4 hours for any reason (other than planned downtime)?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Systems Operations process?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Systems Operations study?
– How can the value of Systems Operations be defined?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Configuration management decisions and find answers.
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes to facility documentation been identified?
– Has Configuration Management a say in how information is stored and accessed in other enterprise databases?
– Can we answer questions like: Do the attributes of the configuration object reflect the change?
– Is maximizing Systems Operations protection the same as minimizing Systems Operations loss?
– What tools, resources, and training are required to perform baseline change assessment?
– Can we answer questions like: Has the change specified been made without modifications?
– What elements are to be tracked and reported for baselines and changes?
– Which data is least likely to be used in the incident control process?
– When: when do you start to place entities under configuration control?
– In availability management terms, what do the letters cia stand for?
– What are all of our Systems Operations domains and what do they do?
– How do you make sure that the code base always builds reliably?
– What metrics should be used to assess changes to a baseline?
– Can we answer questions like: Are all data files available?
– How is the value delivered by Systems Operations being measured?
– Is impact analysis performed for all change requests?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– How will changes to the baselines be controlled?
– Why is sacm so hard to implement and organize?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Customer service issues and reduce Customer service costs.
– Its important to reach your customers. Every business, if wise, will have a promotion and advertising plan. You need to consider the image you want to project to your customers about your business. Will your business stand out because you are a proven a leader in the service or product industry by providing innovative services or products, or you provide customer confidence by providing high quality Customer Service?
– Do we Phrase questions simply and avoid the use of closed-ended questions that require a yes or no? do we Watch our customers nonverbal responses in order to gauge his or her reactions to our questions? Some cultures believe that questioning someone is intrusive and therefore avoid it. This is especially true if the questions involve personal information eg How is your family?
– Customer Service What is the future of CRM with regards to Customer Service five years from now, What Technologies would affect it the most and what trends in Customer Service landscape would we see at that time?
– Which of any Customer Service issues would be most likely to influence you to switch brands or companies?
– What is the best virtual hosted PBX platform to use for our phone Customer Service team?
– And to what extent do your suppliers and subcontractors affect your overall package?
– What are the anticipated hours of operation for live Customer Service support?
– What percentage of calls is correctly routed to your department?
– Customer Service: How can social CRM improve service quality?
– What are the issues of scaling Twitter for Customer Service?
– Customer, User, direct and indirect is there a difference?
– Do we Always ask Is there anything else I can do for you?
– How many Customer Service-related emails do you receive?
– What will be your Customer Service and credit policies?
– What exactly do we mean by good Customer Service?
– What do we mean by the term Customer Service ?
– What level of service should be offered?
– How do you currently manage complaints?
– How would you define Customer Service?
– What Customer Services are needed?
DSL Forum Critical Criteria:
Accommodate DSL Forum quality and maintain DSL Forum for success.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Systems Operations requirements in detail?
– Can we do Systems Operations without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How do we Improve Systems Operations service perception, and satisfaction?
Data entry clerk Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Data entry clerk strategies and question.
– Does Systems Operations analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How will you measure your Systems Operations effectiveness?
– Are there Systems Operations Models?
Digital Equipment Corporation Critical Criteria:
Check Digital Equipment Corporation management and look in other fields.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Systems Operations processes?
Fault management Critical Criteria:
Consult on Fault management outcomes and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Fault management.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Systems Operations processes?
– What are the barriers to increased Systems Operations production?
Hardware Information Navigational Tool Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Hardware Information Navigational Tool decisions and test out new things.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Systems Operations process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Systems Operations process available?
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Systems Operations in a volatile global economy?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Systems Operations. How do we gain traction?
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector Critical Criteria:
Mine ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector governance and get the big picture.
– Are accountability and ownership for Systems Operations clearly defined?
– Are we Assessing Systems Operations and Risk?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Study International Organization for Standardization projects and describe the risks of International Organization for Standardization sustainability.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Systems Operations?
– What is our Systems Operations Strategy?
Loop Maintenance Operations System Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Loop Maintenance Operations System goals and find out.
– What will drive Systems Operations change?
– How would one define Systems Operations leadership?
Network element Critical Criteria:
Focus on Network element strategies and point out improvements in Network element.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Systems Operations services/products?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Systems Operations effort?
– Who sets the Systems Operations standards?
Remote Memory Administration System Critical Criteria:
Merge Remote Memory Administration System adoptions and ask what if.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Systems Operations activities?
– What are the long-term Systems Operations goals?
– Why is Systems Operations important for you now?
Service Evaluation System Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Service Evaluation System tactics and create Service Evaluation System explanations for all managers.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Systems Operations? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Systems Operations?
– Does the Systems Operations task fit the clients priorities?
Service assurance Critical Criteria:
Merge Service assurance visions and oversee Service assurance requirements.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– How can you measure Systems Operations in a systematic way?
– Do we have past Systems Operations Successes?
Service delivery platform Critical Criteria:
Define Service delivery platform engagements and correct Service delivery platform management by competencies.
– Does Systems Operations systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Service fulfillment Critical Criteria:
Judge Service fulfillment results and look at it backwards.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Systems Operations opportunities costing us money?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Simple Network Management Protocol goals and assess what counts with Simple Network Management Protocol that we are not counting.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Systems Operations does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Is Supporting Systems Operations documentation required?
Software applications Critical Criteria:
Use past Software applications results and transcribe Software applications as tomorrows backbone for success.
– what is the best design framework for Systems Operations organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Systems Operations processes of our organization?
– What are internal and external Systems Operations relations?
Switching Control Center System Critical Criteria:
Systematize Switching Control Center System management and finalize the present value of growth of Switching Control Center System.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Systems Operations strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Is the scope of Systems Operations defined?
TM Forum Critical Criteria:
Categorize TM Forum outcomes and give examples utilizing a core of simple TM Forum skills.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Systems Operations into the services that we provide?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Systems Operations objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Telcordia Technologies Critical Criteria:
Look at Telcordia Technologies governance and look in other fields.
– How do we go about Comparing Systems Operations approaches/solutions?
– How can we improve Systems Operations?
Telecommunications Management Network Critical Criteria:
Depict Telecommunications Management Network leadership and research ways can we become the Telecommunications Management Network company that would put us out of business.
– In what ways are Systems Operations vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Systems Operations?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Systems Operations move?
Telecommunications service providers Critical Criteria:
Recall Telecommunications service providers governance and oversee Telecommunications service providers requirements.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Systems Operations values?
– Are assumptions made in Systems Operations stated explicitly?
Telephone company Critical Criteria:
Devise Telephone company leadership and test out new things.
Telephone exchange Critical Criteria:
Derive from Telephone exchange strategies and oversee implementation of Telephone exchange.
– What is Effective Systems Operations?
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System Critical Criteria:
Study Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System governance and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Systems Operations activities?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Systems Operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Systems Operations External links:
AWS Training | Systems Operations on AWS
WOMOS 150U Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations Technician
USAF Command & Control Systems Operations Career Field
Operations support system External links:
Operations Support System – Gartner IT Glossary
ACE Cash Express – ACE OPERATIONS SUPPORT SYSTEM
Avaya Support – Products – Operations Support System
Access network External links:
All Partners Access Network – Official Site
S.C.A.N. Home – Security Central Access Network
Business support system External links:
Build A Business Support System – She Takes on the World
Computer system External links:
computer system Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia
7010-01-500-6979 – COMPUTER SYSTEM,DIGITAL – NSN …
Components of a Computer System – Programming …
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
AWS OpsWorks – Configuration Management
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Customer service External links:
Customer Service Center – Washington Gas eService …
Customer Service – Kohl’s
Capital One Customer Service | Contact Us
DSL Forum External links:
Verizon DSL forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
[PDF]DSL Forum Technical Report TR-126 Triple-play …
AT&T DSL forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
Data entry clerk External links:
Data Entry Clerk Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data Entry Clerk job description template | Workable
Data Entry Clerk Salary – PayScale
Digital Equipment Corporation External links:
GRC’s | Digital Equipment Corporation’s PDP-8
Digital Equipment Corporation – CHM Revolution
Why did Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) fail? – Quora
Fault management External links:
[PDF]FAULT MANAGEMENT HANDBOOK – NASA
Redundancy Fault Management – How is Redundancy …
Network Fault Management & Monitoring | SolarWinds
Hardware Information Navigational Tool External links:
Hardware Information Navigational Tool – liquisearch.com
Hardware Information Navigational Tool – WOW.com
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector External links:
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
MDMC – International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
Loop Maintenance Operations System External links:
Loop Maintenance Operations System – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Loop Maintenance Operations System
Network element External links:
Modem Always On; and Network Element Dial-out Prevention
Remote Memory Administration System External links:
RMAS means Remote Memory Administration System
Service Evaluation System External links:
Patent EP0766444A2 – Service evaluation system and …
Prototype Bus Service Evaluation System – Internet Archive
Service assurance External links:
Job Information: Service Assurance Agent Job – appone.com
Service Assurance Plan | MetroCast
Service Assurance Analyst (PP/SAA/P/CS) – Project People
Service delivery platform External links:
Service delivery platform – Hwang, Hans
Customer Service Delivery Platform – A Process-Driven …
Service fulfillment External links:
Agency Service Fulfillment Enterprises, LLC
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
Simple Network Management Protocol
[PDF]Simple Network Management Protocol – Fermilab
Software applications External links:
CRMfusion Salesforce Data Quality Software Applications
AltSource | Custom Business Software Applications
Airport Deicing Software Applications
Switching Control Center System External links:
Switching Control Center System – liquisearch.com
Switching Control Center System – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Switching Control Center System
Switching Control Center System – How is Switching …
TM Forum External links:
TM Forum Live (May 2018), Nice France – Trade Show
Agenda | TM Forum Live
Home | TM Forum Action Week
Telcordia Technologies External links:
[PDF]Telcordia Technologies, Inc. d/b/a iconectiv …
Telcordia Technologies Careers | CareerBliss
Telcordia Technologies, Inc. – CACI
Telecommunications Management Network External links:
Telecommunications Management Network | Arizona …
Telecommunications service providers External links:
[PDF]for Telecommunications Service Providers
Telephone company External links:
mail.4wbi.net – Westphalia Telephone Company / …
Darien Telephone Company is a family owned independent communications company providing high speed internet, telephone and cable sevices.
http://mail.4wbi.net – Westphalia Telephone Company / …
srcaccess.net – Santa Rosa Telephone Company
Telephone exchange External links:
North American Telephone Exchange Lookup by NPA NXX
Online BillPay – Steelville Telephone Exchange Inc.
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System External links:
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System – WOW.com