What is involved in Business reporting
Find out what the related areas are that Business reporting connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business reporting thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business reporting journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business reporting leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business reporting related domains to cover and 94 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business reporting, Business intelligence, Data reporting, Data warehouse, Extract, transform, load, Human Resources, Human readable, Information technology, Intranet, Knowledge management, Logical data model, Operational reporting, Standard Business Reporting:
Business reporting Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Business reporting management and give examples utilizing a core of simple Business reporting skills.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Business reporting, including any consulting or professional services?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Business reporting?
– Have all basic functions of Business reporting been defined?
Business intelligence Critical Criteria:
Participate in Business intelligence adoptions and look at the big picture.
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Does your BI solution create a strong partnership with IT to ensure that data, whether from extracts or live connections, is 100-percent accurate?
– When users are more fluid and guest access is a must, can you choose hardware-based licensing that is tailored to your exact configuration needs?
– Does your mobile solution allow you to interact with desktop-authored dashboards using touchscreen gestures like taps, flicks, and pinches?
– Can you easily add users and features to quickly scale and customize to your organizations specific needs?
– What are the main differences between a business intelligence team compared to a team of data scientists?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– What documentation is provided with the software / system and in what format?
– What is your anticipated learning curve for technical administrators?
– What social media dashboards are available and how do they compare?
– Does your client support bi-directional functionality with mapping?
– What are the top trends in the business intelligence space?
– What is your licensing model and prices?
– Do you still need a data warehouse?
– Business Intelligence Tools?
Data reporting Critical Criteria:
Systematize Data reporting engagements and remodel and develop an effective Data reporting strategy.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Business reporting process?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Business reporting leaders?
– Will Business reporting deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Data warehouse Critical Criteria:
Jump start Data warehouse governance and check on ways to get started with Data warehouse.
– What tier data server has been identified for the storage of decision support data contained in a data warehouse?
– Do we need an enterprise data warehouse, a Data Lake, or both as part of our overall data architecture?
– Is there a Business reporting Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What does a typical data warehouse and business intelligence organizational structure look like?
– Does big data threaten the traditional data warehouse business intelligence model stack?
– Is Data Warehouseing necessary for a business intelligence service?
– What is the difference between a database and data warehouse?
– What is the purpose of data warehouses and data marts?
– What are alternatives to building a data warehouse?
– Do we offer a good introduction to data warehouse?
– Data Warehouse versus Data Lake (Data Swamp)?
– What threat is Business reporting addressing?
– Centralized data warehouse?
Extract, transform, load Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Extract, transform, load quality and summarize a clear Extract, transform, load focus.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Business reporting process?
– What are specific Business reporting Rules to follow?
Human Resources Critical Criteria:
Confer re Human Resources failures and shift your focus.
– Have we adopted and promoted the companys culture of integrity management, including ethics, business practices and Human Resources evaluations?
– Do we perform an environmental scan of hr strategies within the hr community (what/how are others planning)?
– Is there a role for employees to play in maintaining the accuracy of personal data the company maintains?
– Should pay levels and differences reflect what workers are used to in their own countries?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Business reporting been identified and analyzed?
– Are there types of data to which the employee does not have access?
– From what types of sources does the company collect personal data?
– How can we more efficiently on-board and off-board employees?
– How do you view the department and staff members as a whole?
– How is Staffs knowledge of procedures and regulations?
– Ease of contacting the Human Resources staff members?
– How does the global environment influence management?
– Are we complying with existing security policies?
– How is the Ease of navigating the hr website?
– What other outreach efforts would be helpful?
– May an employee make an anonymous complaint?
– Why study Human Resources management (hrm)?
– How do we engage the stakeholders?
– What is personal data?
Human readable Critical Criteria:
Survey Human readable adoptions and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Human readable decisions.
– Is the Business reporting organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Who sets the Business reporting standards?
– How can we improve Business reporting?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Unify Information technology projects and arbitrate Information technology techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What are the key elements of your Business reporting performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Is Business reporting dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Intranet Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Intranet strategies and transcribe Intranet as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Do we maintain our own threat catalogue on the corporate intranet to remind employees of the wide range of issues of concern to Information Security and the business?
– If youre producing an intranet, the employees of your organization are the consumers. What is the cost of their time spent to find the information they need?
– What information can be provided in regards to a sites usage and business intelligence usage within the intranet environment?
– Think about the functions involved in your Business reporting project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Global email, posters, paycheck advice messages, intranet, presentations, Health & Benefit Fair?
– When a Business reporting manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Devise Knowledge management decisions and innovate what needs to be done with Knowledge management.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– What are the disruptive Business reporting technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business reporting?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– How do we manage Business reporting Knowledge Management (KM)?
– When is Knowledge Management Measured?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
Logical data model Critical Criteria:
Generalize Logical data model engagements and gather Logical data model models .
– What management system can we use to leverage the Business reporting experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What is the physical data model definition (derived from logical data models) used to design the database?
– Who needs to know about Business reporting ?
– How would one define Business reporting leadership?
– Logical data model available?
Operational reporting Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Operational reporting failures and budget for Operational reporting challenges.
– What is our Business reporting Strategy?
Standard Business Reporting Critical Criteria:
Confer re Standard Business Reporting management and explore and align the progress in Standard Business Reporting.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Business reporting is underway?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business reporting Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business reporting External links:
Business Reporting | IFAC
Business Reporting Instructions – Alabama State Treasury
Business reporting. (Book, 1990) [WorldCat.org]
Business intelligence External links:
EnsembleIQ | The premier business intelligence resource
SQL Server Business Intelligence | Microsoft
Data reporting External links:
Product Data Reporting and Evaluation Program
Grant Applications and Data Reporting
Data Reporting Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data warehouse External links:
Title Data Warehouse Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Enterprise Data Warehouse | IT@UMN
[PDF]Data Warehouse – Utility’s Smart Grid Clearinghouse
http://smartgrid.epri.com/UseCases/DW – Utility DOE SG Clearhouse_ph2add.pdf
Extract, transform, load External links:
What is ETL (Extract, Transform, Load)? Webopedia Definition
Human Resources External links:
Human Resources Job Titles – The Balance
Human Resources Job Titles-The Ultimate Guide | upstartHR
Human Resources Job Titles | Enlighten Jobs
Human readable External links:
[PDF]GS1 Human Readable Interpretation (HRI) …
Information technology External links:
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Intranet External links:
Welcome – Intranet – Sign In to the Hospital Intranet
The Exchange Intranet Log-In Page – Sign In
Neighborhood House Association: Intranet
Knowledge management External links:
Home – livepro: Customer Service Knowledge Management
Knowledge Management Consulting Firm | Iknow LLC
[PDF]Army Regulation 25-1, ‘Army Knowledge Management …
Logical data model External links:
Logical Data Model of Oracle Retail Data Model
DIV-2: Logical Data Model – Chief Information Officer
Logical Data Model Explained with Examples – YouTube
Standard Business Reporting External links:
Standard Business Reporting (SBR) | XBRL US
Standard Business Reporting – YouTube
Standard Business Reporting 2017 — Data Foundation