What is involved in Risk Register
Find out what the related areas are that Risk Register connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Risk Register thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Risk Register journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Risk Register leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Risk Register related domains to cover and 79 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Risk Register, Event chain methodology, Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis, Failure mode and effects analysis, ISO 31000, Illusion of control, Integer, Issue log, Karaoke, Likelihood, PRINCE2, Project Management Institute, Regulatory compliance, Risk Breakdown Structure, Risk management, Risk management tools, Scatterplot:
Risk Register Critical Criteria:
Chat re Risk Register governance and find answers.
– Consider your own Risk Register project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Risk Register? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Are the risk register and Risk Management processes actually effective in managing project risk?
– Are accountability and ownership for Risk Register clearly defined?
Event chain methodology Critical Criteria:
Steer Event chain methodology strategies and find the essential reading for Event chain methodology researchers.
– How is the value delivered by Risk Register being measured?
Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis Critical Criteria:
Rank Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis quality and give examples utilizing a core of simple Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis skills.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Risk Register processes?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Risk Register objectives?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Risk Register processes?
Failure mode and effects analysis Critical Criteria:
Merge Failure mode and effects analysis strategies and acquire concise Failure mode and effects analysis education.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Risk Register products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– How much does Risk Register help?
– Is Risk Register Required?
ISO 31000 Critical Criteria:
Use past ISO 31000 goals and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough ISO 31000 results.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Risk Register services/products?
– Is there a Risk Register Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Risk Register ?
– Do you adhere to, or apply, the ISO 31000 Risk Management standard?
Illusion of control Critical Criteria:
Mine Illusion of control risks and achieve a single Illusion of control view and bringing data together.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Risk Register been identified and analyzed?
– Is there any existing Risk Register governance structure?
Integer Critical Criteria:
Canvass Integer governance and secure Integer creativity.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Risk Register product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Risk Register models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– How would one define Risk Register leadership?
Issue log Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Issue log quality and ask what if.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Risk Register into the services that we provide?
Karaoke Critical Criteria:
Grade Karaoke adoptions and know what your objective is.
– Does Risk Register create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Are there Risk Register problems defined?
Likelihood Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Likelihood quality and stake your claim.
– What is the likelihood of increasing the programs success by implementing it on either a larger or smaller scale?
– How does the firewall quality affect the likelihood of a security breach or the expected loss?
– Is there a high likelihood that any recommendations will achieve their intended results?
– How does the firewall quality affect the likelihood of a security breach or the expected loss?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Risk Register project?
– Risk of Compromise What is the likelihood that a compromise will occur?
– How will likelihood be defined (e.g. frequency over what timeframe)?
– How do you decide the likelihood something is going to happen?
– What is the likelihood (probability) risks would go wrong?
– What is the likelihood that a compromise will occur?
– What is the likelihood of risk events happening?
– How do you improve your likelihood of success ?
PRINCE2 Critical Criteria:
Learn from PRINCE2 strategies and oversee PRINCE2 requirements.
– Does Risk Register include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– A lot of these decisions are based around selecting the correct level of governance and ceremony. At project initiation there should be questions such as Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Risk Register? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 9 – one or the other, or both?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 – one or the other, or both?
– Are there Risk Register Models?
Project Management Institute Critical Criteria:
Generalize Project Management Institute planning and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Project Management Institute results.
– What vendors make products that address the Risk Register needs?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Risk Register move?
– What threat is Risk Register addressing?
Regulatory compliance Critical Criteria:
Canvass Regulatory compliance projects and cater for concise Regulatory compliance education.
– Think about the people you identified for your Risk Register project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Regulatory compliance: Is the cloud vendor willing to undergo external audits and/or security certifications?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Risk Register activities?
– What is Regulatory Compliance ?
– What is Effective Risk Register?
Risk Breakdown Structure Critical Criteria:
Dissect Risk Breakdown Structure failures and assess what counts with Risk Breakdown Structure that we are not counting.
– In what ways are Risk Register vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Risk Register activities?
– How can you measure Risk Register in a systematic way?
Risk management Critical Criteria:
Devise Risk management management and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Risk management projects.
– Do we do risk mitigation planning by answering the question what is the program approach for addressing a potential unfavorable consequence?
– Have managements Risk Management techniques contemplated organizational goals in making technology selection and implementation decisions?
– Is your strategy development linked to risk management or any ERM? Or are you looking for ERM to support strategic objectives?
– Structure/process risk -What is the degree of change the new project will introduce into user areas and business procedures?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity risk incorporated into organizations overarching enterprise Risk Management?
– Is there a schedule for required password updates from default vendor or manufacturer passwords?
– How does your company report on its information and technology risk assessment?
– Have you identified the number of key positions which should be interviewed for ERM?
– Who performs your companys information and technology risk assessments?
– Are individuals specifically assigned Cybersecurity responsibility?
– How do we maintain a risk management culture?
– What is the system-availability requirement?
– What risks should be avoided altogether?
– What is your budget for this initiative?
– Are any two policies the same?
Risk management tools Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Risk management tools results and pioneer acquisition of Risk management tools systems.
– How do we go about Comparing Risk Register approaches/solutions?
– Who needs to know about Risk Register ?
Scatterplot Critical Criteria:
Nurse Scatterplot engagements and achieve a single Scatterplot view and bringing data together.
– Do we all define Risk Register in the same way?
– How to deal with Risk Register Changes?
– What is our Risk Register Strategy?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Risk Register Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Risk Register External links:
[XLS]Risk Register – Project management
Risk Register – TN.Gov
[PDF]PRINCE2™ – Risk Register – Stakeholdermap.com
Event chain methodology External links:
Event chain methodology – PlanOpedia
[PDF]Event Chain Methodology – ldsart.store
[PDF]Event Chain Methodology In Details – Project Decisions
Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis External links:
Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
Failure mode and effects analysis External links:
[PDF]FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS (FMEA)
[PDF]Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
[PDF]Failure Mode and Effects Analysis based on FMEA 4 th …
ISO 31000 External links:
ISO 31000 Risk Management | BSI America
ISO 31000 Risk Management Definitions in Plain English
ISO 31000 Risk Management Translated into Plain English
Illusion of control External links:
“Bull” The Illusion of Control (TV Episode 2017) – IMDb
Illusion of control – ScienceDaily
Evangelicals and the Illusion of Control | Sojourners
Integer External links:
The Integer Group – Official Site
How to get a float result by dividing two integer values?
Integer Football | Math Goodies
Issue log External links:
Presort Reference Data Issue Log | PostalPro
Issue Log | Freewordtemplates.net
Issue Log Template – Free Project Management Templates
Karaoke External links:
Online karaoke | KaraFun
Likelihood External links:
Sears’ likelihood of bankruptcy – Business Insider
Likelihood | Definition of Likelihood by Merriam-Webster
Project Management Institute External links:
PMI – Project Management Institute :: Pearson VUE
PMI-Project Management Institute
CCRS | Project Management Institute
Regulatory compliance External links:
Anti-kickback & Stark Compliance — Regulatory Compliance
National Provider Identifier — Regulatory Compliance
Brandywine Drumlabels – GHS Regulatory Compliance …
Risk Breakdown Structure External links:
[PDF]RISK BREAKDOWN STRUCTURE (RBS) – Seattle …
[PDF]RISK BREAKDOWN STRUCTURE (RBS) TEMPLATE
Risk Breakdown Structure (RBS) | Just Get PMP
Risk management External links:
Education Risk Management | Edu Risk Solutions
“Billions” Risk Management (TV Episode 2017) – IMDb
Risk management tools External links:
Risk Management Tools
Risk Management Tools – The American Rental Association
Rigorous risk management tools – Shared Assessments
Scatterplot External links:
Scatterplots (ggplot2) – cookbook-r.com